Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Heckerling swings and misses with "I Could Never Be Your Woman"


So last night I made a mistake. I have actually been making these kinds of mistakes a lot recently. I decided to forgo watching TV so I could check out a new film that I rented at the local video store (which by the way has NO videos on site). Anyways, I ended up renting ”I Could Never Be Your Woman”, written and directed by
Amy Heckerling. The movie was originally slated for a 2006 box office release, but after complication after complication, it was shelved and went straight to DVD. Now one would think a romantic comedy by Heckerling and starring Michelle Pfeifferand Paul Rudd, would be golden, but you are mistaken about this. While both actors usually play this genre to perfection, Pfeiffer has always been believable as that beautiful, yet affable woman who somehow can’t believe she is lusted after and Rudd will make any woman swoon with his across the room loving looks. Entertainment Weekly discussed the doomed pic in an issue last month and it piqued my interest. Unfortunately, this movie falls short on so many levels. First, there is narration and mediation by “Mother Nature”, played by Tracey Ullman, which should have been a clue to me in the first 3 minutes this movie will blow. But that isn’t even the worst part, since it’s actually a throwaway character. Pfeiffer, divorcee and single mother, who is a producer on a teen sitcom, is combating the old rule in Hollywood that woman are not allowed to age. Unfortunately, it’s an odd character assessment for Pfeiffer since she looks like she hasn’t. She is the mother of a pre-teen, played by Saoirse Ronan who is slowly growing out Barbies into boys. Pfeiffer is also battling it out at her TV studio with her passive aggressive assistant and out of touch President, who all seem to be against this “poor” woman. Along the way, she finds Rudd at a casting for a nerdy teenager for the teen show, starring Stacey Dash and falls in love, or at least we think so.

Let’s just say, I really truly wanted to like this movie. I think Heckerling has a gift when writing heartfelt comedies and is very able to produce quality dialogue for women. The premise was evident – women battling the “age debate” in Hollywood, strength of character being taught to young girls and the ridiculousness of people in their 20s and 30s playing teenagers. – but it was all too much. The romantic comedy was about way too much and didn’t hit one single message home. The love between Pfeiffer and Rudd made virtually no sense, since it seemed all they did was fight and make out with teenagers, Dash playing a teenager is so far beyond my comprehension I don’t even know where to begin with that and Pfeiffer seemed way too nice and uninterested in her part in Hollywood, I wasn’t sure why she was even fighting for it. I now understand why this movie never made it to the big screen. The only part about this movie which felt real and genuine was the relationship between Pfeiffer and Ronan. It was interesting at age 27 to be able to identify with both mother and daughter in that relationship. But what really hit home was the development of the young girl and her becoming the mirror image of her middle school crush. A scene where Ronan and a friend are playing witches, “mini skirt witches like ”The Craft”finally explained to me why people are so excited about Diablo Cody. It reiterated that what really is lacking in Hollywood is not older woman, but quality characters for ALL women. While I hope that Heckerling is able to come back with another golden like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High”, if she can’t, will another woman step up to the plate?

Here is the trailer for the film:


Thanks Partricia ;)

1 Comment:

Europatrizia said...

Very funny, Splienster! Keep up the good work. :]

How about Christian's win? It was so sweet to see his little chin quiver before the big moment. I think it comes down to Jillian's work being ready to wear (certainly I wish I could wear it) and Christian's being haute couture. We need haute couture to filter the art and jazz into our humdrum everyday lives.